WHERE WE STAYED:
Sabi River Sun Resort Chalets, Mpumalanga Lowveld.
Sabi River Sun Resort is situated in Hazyview, on the banks of the Sabi River and close to the Numbi Gate entrance to the Kruger National Park. Nearby are Bourke’s Luck Potholes, God’s Window, the Blyde River Canyon, Pilgrims’ Rest, and many other places of interest.
This was our second visit to Sabi River Sun Chalets and, again it did not disappoint. This time, our Tiggy was 2 years older and had way more to do with his friends (old & new).
Our newly renovated self-catering chalet was close to the main pool, slept six (2 double rooms plus a loft), had a gorgeous patio and braai area overlooking the golf course, was fully equipped, and serviced daily.
Your home for the week, offers sporting facilities, including an 18-hole golf course, 5 swimming pools, 3 floodlit tennis courts, a bowling green, squash court, volleyball, mountain biking, and river rafting (during summer). For the less energetic, there are nature walks, bird watching, sightings of the resident crocodiles or hippos, the experience of a game drive, a sightseeing tour, or just relaxing next to the river.
This is a perfect getaway for families and more especially kids.
· Daily kids & adult entertainment line-up at the pool….BINGO was my fav which is probably giving away my age.
· You are allowed to bring your food & drinks to the pool but we chose most days to order off the YUMMY POOL MENU
· The resident HIPPOPOTAMUS’, CROCODILES and BIRD LIFE putting on daily “shows” for timeshare spectators
· Long morning and afternoon walk around the golf course and river. Bring your kids bikes to avoid lazy walking wining
5 TIPS FOR ROAD-TRIPPING WITH LITTLE ONES
1. SNACKS, snacks, and more snacks AND WET WIPES
2. PRE_LOAD GAMES AND SHOWS onto their iPad/ phones – reception can get tricky. Likewise, load some kiddie songs onto your playlist and pack in a few of their fav small toys.
3. Buy an IPAD BRACKET to hook onto the back of the front seat(s) – easy viewing access and limits them playing with the buttons. We got ours from Take Alot
4. Research your PIT STOPS and source those with kiddies play areas. For the trip to Kruger from Jozi, I suggest Milly’s Trout Stall. It’s halfway on your trip, has a great restaurant (you have to try the pies), clean toilets, a kid’s area with a jumping castle, jungle gym, and picnic tables. There are also a lot of take-away outlets including a Seattle Coffee and Steers who does boerie rolls.
5. Let someone sit next to your toddler to keep them entertained and available to attend to their needs while you keep your eyes on the road.